A Guide to Keep Clip-In Hair Extensions from Falling Out
Clip-in hair extensions are a very popular way to increase the length and volume of your hair. However, they can be a bit tricky to keep in place and become prone to falling out if they are not properly cared for. Aside from falling out, they can also cause damage to your hair and scalp.
Continue reading to learn about clip-in hair extensions and how to keep them from falling out.
What Are Clip-In Extensions?
If you’re considering clip-in hair extensions, you may wonder what they are and how they work. Clip-in extensions are a type of temporary hair extension that can be easily clipped into your hair for added length, volume, or colour. These are usually made from human hair, which can be styled like your own hair.
Clip-in hair extensions are a fantastic option for those who want to wear extensions occasionally or for those who are not ready for a more permanent commitment and enjoy a user-friendly option to lengthen and volumise their locks. Clip-in extensions are also much less expensive than other types of hair extensions.
How Long Do Clip-In Extensions Last?
Clip-in extensions are not a permanent solution, and falling out can be natural over a long course of time. However, they are much longer-lasting than other types of temporary hair extensions, like clip-on hairpieces. Clip-in extensions can last for many months if properly cared for, although the lifespan will be shorter if you wear them often.
If you take good care of your clip-ins and avoid damaging them, you can expect them to last anywhere from three to six months and more. To extend the life of your clip-in extensions, be sure to exercise some techniques regarding the installation and care after removal. It’s best to figure out what makes the extensions fall out and steer clear of that.
Why Does Hair Fall Out from Clip-In Extensions?
Anyone who wears clip-in hair extensions may have noticed that the locks may seem to be falling out more than usual at some point. There are several reasons why this may be happening, such as:
- Excess Hair Product. One possibility is that you are using too much hair product. When you use many styling products on your hair, it can build up and weigh down the hair, causing it to fall out. Try using fewer hair products or switching to a lighter-weight product.
- Natural Hair Oils. Another possibility is that your natural hair oils are causing the hair to slip out of the clips. If your hair is particularly oily, you may want to try washing it more often or using a dry shampoo. It can also help to find adequate hair protection for your extensions against those hair oils to avoid this issue.
- Hair Treatment. If you recently had a hair treatment, such as colouring or straightening, this could also be causing your hair to fall out. The chemicals in these treatments can weaken the hair, making it more likely to fall out. Certain heat-styling tools can also damage the extensions and cause that undesirable results.
- Incorrect Installation. It is possible that the clip-in hair extensions are not installed correctly. If the clips are not tight enough, they can slip out easily. Make sure to follow the instructions carefully when installing your clip-in extensions, and consult with a proper hair professional if you are unsure or inexperienced with the application.
- Wrong Removal. If you are still experiencing hair loss after taking these steps, it is possible that you are removing the extensions incorrectly. When removing clip-in extensions, be sure to be gentle so as not to damage your natural hair. Gently unclip the extensions and slide them out, being careful not to tug or pull on your hair.
How Are Clip-In Hair Extensions Installed?
Clip-in hair extensions are a great option to amp up your hair’s length and volume. Unlike permanent hair extensions, which require professional installation, clip-in extensions can be easily installed at home in just a few minutes.
Before you begin, it’s important to choose the right type of clip-in extensions for your needs. If you have fine hair, look for extensions that are specifically designed for fine hair. These extensions will have smaller clips that are less likely to slip out.
Once you have the right extensions, follow these steps to install them:
- Brush. Brush your hair to remove any knots or tangles in your natural locks. It’s also ideal to brush through the clip-in extensions to ensure that they are clean and healthy.
- Section. Clip-in hair extensions can be installed in different ways, depending on where you want them to sit. For a more natural look, you can install them around the perimeter of your head.
- Click and Slide. Start by clipping the hair extensions into place at the roots of your hair. Afterwards, slide the extensions down the length of your hair until they’re in the desired position.
- Press the Clips. Once the extensions are clipped into place, press down on the clips to secure them. Repeat by clicking, sliding, and pressing the clip-in extensions until you’ve gotten to every section of your hair that you wanted the extensions in.
- Brush and Style. After the extensions are in place, brush your hair to blend the extensions with your natural hair. It is also possible to style your hair as desired, utilising minimal hair styling products to help keep your extensions in place and looking their best.
How Are Clip-In Hair Extensions Cared For?
Clip-in hair extensions are easy to care for and can last for many months with proper care. To ensure that your clip-in hair extensions last as long as possible, always be mindful and take a couple of steps to care for them.
For instance, avoid sleeping with your clip-in hair extensions. It’s best to remove your clip-in hair extensions before heading to bed to prevent damage and tangling. By doing so, you can ensure less fallout and a longer lifespan in the long run.
Other important steps for clip-in hair extension care also include:
- Avoid Hairspray. Hairspray is one of the worst things you can use on your clip-in hair extensions. It will cause the hair to become stiff and brittle and will eventually lead to the hair extensions falling out.
Avoid spraying hairspray directly on your extensions. If you must use hairspray, spray it on your hair before you put in your extensions. Hold a light, non-aerosol spray at least 6 inches away from your head for optimal results.
- Utilise Extension-Specific Haircare. It’s so important to use the right products on your hair and to make sure you’re using products that are specifically designed for clip-in hair extensions. For instance, invest in a detangler.
A detangler will help to keep your natural and clip-in hair from getting tangled and matted and will also help to ensure that your hair looks and feels healthy. Try to find one that is gentle enough for use on even the most delicate hair.
- Exercise Gentleness. Speaking of gentle, it’s important to be careful when handle when your hair. For instance, make a habit of softly brushing your hair. Be sure to use a soft-bristled brush to avoid damaging your hair and causing breakage.
It’s best to be gentle when putting in and taking out your clip-in hair extensions as well to avoid hair fallout in the long run. When you’re putting them in, be sure to use a wide-tooth comb to avoid damaging your hair. And when you’re taking them out, be sure to use your fingers to gently loosen the clips before removing them as well.
- Wash with Care. When you first get your hair extensions, you’re probably excited to show them off. But before you do, it’s important to make sure they’re clean. As implied above, start by combing your hair extensions with a wide-tooth comb.
Then, fill a sink or basin with lukewarm water and mix a small amount of mild shampoo. Gently swish the extensions in the water and use your fingers to lightly massage the shampoo into the hair. Rinse the extensions thoroughly with cool water to remove all of the shampoo residue afterwards. Do the same with a minimal amount of conditioner.
- Remove and Store Properly. Start by gently brushing out your hair extensions, starting from the very bottom and working your way up. This will help to loosen any knots or tangles and make it easier to remove the extensions without damaging your own hair.
Next, holding each extension by the clip, gently unclip it and slide it away. Continue until all of the extensions have been removed. Next, holding each extension by the clip, gently unclip it from your hair. Continue until all of the extensions have been removed. Finally, brush out the extensions one last time and store them in a safe, dry place.
To sum it all up, if you want to keep your clip-in hair extensions from falling out, take care of them properly. This means gently brushing them, avoiding harsh chemicals and heat, and storing them properly. If you take good care of them, they should last for several months.
Want to buy clip-in hair extensions? Foxy Locks has been supplying woman all over the world with luxurious quality clip in Remy hair. Shipping to the UK and US is available. Shop today!